Syrinscape and Shoutcast? - FIXED

Hey, all. Question for those that are much more technically gifted than myself (which isn’t difficult). Is there a way to redirect Syrinscape to play through a shoutcast server? Right now I use discord for voice and I have syrinscape run completely through discord as a second instance. I also have another discord instance to play my windows media player sounds that I have downloaded. I stream my sessions on twitch.

I’m just always looking for better sound quality and although discord works reasonably well, I don’t think it is really set up to me optimized for audio streams so if I could separate this into another server I’m thinking it would be better. I’ve heard others talk about shoutcast to stream mp3 files, etc. using their winamp integration, but wondering how I might be able to leverage this with the awesome application that is Syrinscape!

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Hi @Gwydion, I’m afraid that I have no idea but if anybody does then we can definitely add the answer to or ProTips and FAQ. @benjamin do you or Tai have any knowledge of Shoutcast?

Thanks, Steve. Here is a link to the Shoutcast/Winamp page which was intriguing to me. It seems like in general Shoutcast is intended as an internet radio-broadcasting solution. Again, my current setup with discord works, but with some issues on occasion with sound quality.

I’m reaching out to a few folks on Fantasy Grounds as well and if I get more info I will post back here.

Hi Gwydion you might check out Virtual Audio Cables it should allow you to mix between your apps. I have not used it with Syrinscape but I have used it with other apps. Hope it helps you out.

Where to get Virtual Audio Cables
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm#download

Virtual Audio Cables Setup for Live Streamers

Thanks, guid686! I should have clarified. I currently use Virtual Audio Cables and Voicemeeter. The issue I find at times is the sound quality. I use discord for all voice/sounds right now. Specifically, I use the Discord app for my voice. I use the Discord PTB (public test build) app for Syrinscape and I use the Discord browser instance for running windows media player for sounds I’ve downloaded locally to my hard drive.

In general, this setup works pretty well and I stream my Fantasy Grounds sessions on Twitch. However, I find that I run into a few issues. First, if I don’t keep my browser focused on the Discord site, Discord tends to “forget” the connection and my windows media player files don’t play through discord until I quickly disconnect the WMP voice stream and reconnect it to Discord (and then it plays fine).

Second, and more importantly for this thread, I find at times with four players voices, Syrinscape and WMP all running through discord the sound quality can suffer. This is really what I’m trying to solve for.

After starting this thread, I’m trying something new for my thursday night game which I’ve already tested a bit and it seems to work better. I’m going to use Teamspeak as a dedicated Syrinscape audio channel. The players will log in and mute their voice in Teamspeak. I run a ton of automatic sounds using Syrinscape that trigger off of the chat that runs through Fantasy Grounds so I really want that audio to be the best possible. My players and I used Teamspeak before discord so they all know how to log on.

I will use discord app for my voice and discord ptb for any WMP files I need. I’ve tested this and cranked up the Teamspeak sound quality as high as I can and it seems like this solution might work well. Its a little convoluted but will be worth it if it sounds good!

I’ll post back after I try this in a live session.

1 Like

So, last night was session 15 of our POTA campaign. I had all the players log into Teamspeak and I set up syrinscape to run through Teamspeak. The players logged in and muted their microphones. We used discord as normal for our voice and also for my windows media player files. After a three hour session the feedback from the players and the twitch viewers was that the setup sounded great.

I still want to test this on more streams, but for now I like it and it seemed to give the Syrinscape moods and automated one-shots better quality than piping it all through discord.

One more option for all of you to try! :smile:

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks for letting us know :grin: